The aircraft is a civilian 1938 plane with N number: “NC20617.” It was produced under ATC 663 and issued October 31, 1937. The plane was rebuilt in April of 1986. The rebuilding of the aircraft included new spars, new wood, and the entire aircraft was covered in Stits process. In addition, the plane was converted to use both McCauley wheels and hydraulic brakes. Also, this aircraft was converted to an –R engine on November 13, 1986 with the installation of a Model 6-440-CS Ranger engine. The Fairchild 24-J “represented an attempt to provide first class transportation to the outlying communities of interior Alaska. This aircraft definitely represents the golden era of bush flying."
This Fairchild 24-J was donated by Mrs. Dorothy R. Magoffin to the museum in 2000. The aircraft has had several previous owners, other than Mrs. Dorothy R. Magoffin. These previous owners include: Frank V. Pollack, Alaska Star Airlines, Fred Shaw, Joe Vanderpool, William S. Elmore, Thomas Bentley, R. Adkins, Bob Cooper, Virgil Ewing, the Cheechako Flying Club, Dave Philo, and Ellen Paneok. You can read more about Ellen Paneok at our blog here.
Alaska Bush Pilot
Pioneer Air Museum Collections