Position: Collections and Operations Manager
Reports to: Board of Directors, Pioneer Air Museum
Supervises: Front desk staff, interns, volunteers
Class: Full time during the summer open season, and part time, hours negotiable the remainder of the year. Estimate 24-40 hours a week during the winter.
Summary of position responsibilities
This position oversees the operations of the museum including the store, supervises front desk staff, and serves as the collections manager for the entire museum.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
Must have the ability to work independently, and be a self-starter. Be proficient in computer operations including word and excel, email, and Publisher. Have demonstrated ability to learn and become proficient with systems such as the museum’s Past Perfect Web edition Database. Must have excellent written and verbal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with the public in a variety of situations. Experience and demonstrated success working in teams and with community groups highly desirable.
Organizes and directs all operations of the front desk. This includes:
- Advertising, recruiting, hiring and training front desk staff, interns and volunteers
- Marketing of the museum
- Registration for and participation in job fairs
- Organize special events such as opening weekend, and other events as scheduled by park staff, attending park meetings?
- Manages, places orders, and keeps the inventory updated of all store items. Sets retail prices of store items.
- Organize summer camps and other education events for children
- Arrange private open hours as requested for schools and other organizations
- Coordinate fund raising activities
- Write and coordinate input for periodical newsletter as set by the board of directors
- Attends board meetings the third Tuesday of each month
- Schedules and coordinates housekeeping and IPM (Integrated Pest Management) of the collection and Museum
- Schedules and conducts meeting of the collection committee to review proposed donations for acceptance and deaccession of museum items
- Conducts research for available grants, makes recommendations to the board of grants to apply for, and coordinates and provides supporting information to grant writer
- Completes work described in grant, submits paperwork for final accounting report
- Once a year changes airport display and biannual cleaning
- Updates collection management policy as needed and seeks board approval
- Coordinate cleaning of public areas
- Coordinate housekeeping of the collection (requires training)
- Organize training and prepare tasks for volunteers, run work parties as needed
- Continue cataloging uncatalogued material found in the museum
- Create projects for future interns and find housing
- Plan and create new exhibits
- Deliver material for FB and Website postings
- Monitor and download data and analyze HOBO data loggers (temperature and humanity data)
- Shovel snow, clear ice at entrances
- Recycle materials
- Monitor food area
- The temperature in the museum runs between 60-63 degrees.
- There are no bathrooms or running water in the museum. An outhouse is available outside the museum and between 12-5 PM a bathroom is available nearby in the civic center. During the summer months additional bathrooms are a 5 minute walk.
- During the winter months parking is available with plug-ins adjacent to the museum. During the summer parking is outside the park from 12-8 PM.
- This position requires the incumbent to work alone, both staffing the museum in the summer and performing duties in the winter.
For more information or to apply, please email email@example.com. When applying, please include a cover letter, resume, and list of at least three professional references.